Sunday, April 21, 2013

Almond Milk- So easy to make! It's nuts!!

I love almond milk! I don't feel guilty pouring it on my cereal or using it in my smoothies like I did cow's milk. I am shocked at how easy it is to make! I was a little intimidated at first but once I got my nut bag (insert giggles here) and got a good recipe I was on my way! I found an organic, GMO free bag for just over $10.00. Go to http://ecopeaceful.com for ordering information. I  had read on some blogs where people were suggesting using paint bags from the home improvement store but then I learned that they may not be safe. I am not taking any chances when it comes to my family. I have used the bag twice now and it works great! The lady who makes the bags even sends a recipe with the bag. I have not tried the recipe yet but as soon as I get some vanilla bean I am going to. For now we are just using the plain almond milk- and loving it!

Almond Milk
1 C. whole, raw almonds
3 C. water

Put almonds in a bowl and add just enough water to cover them. Let them soak for no less than 6 hours. Drain the water. Put the almonds + 3 cups of water into your blender and blend well.  Run the mixture through your nut bag white it is resting inside a large bowl or a pitcher. Hold the bag up and squeeze all the milk out. Once you have gotten all the milk out of the bag put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will remain fresh for about 3 days. Dump the almond meal out onto a baking sheet and put it in the oven to dry it out. Once it is dry run it through the food processor or blender, put in an airtight container and use it to replace 1/4 of the flour in baked goods. This yields 3 cups of almond milk and 1 cup of almond meal.
Soak the almonds in water.
Put them in the blender and blend well.
Run the mixture through the nut bag.
Squeeze the milk from the bag.
Store in container in fridge.
Dry the almond meal in the oven.
 

No comments: